If you are unfamiliar with huevos rancheros, you are seriously missing out. Huevos rancheros is a traditional Mexican dish that is usually eaten as breakfast, but can be eaten for any meal. The basic components of the dish consists of a tortillas, fried eggs, with a tomato-chili sauce on top. The great thing about this dish is you can add pretty much anything you like. Here’s my version:
- Cook up some chorizo or regular breakfast sausage. Chorizo is a smokier sausage that typically has red pepper added to it.
- Coat the bottom of a large pan LIGHTLY with oil. Drop a tortilla in flat and let it sit until slightly crisp. I’m talking SLIGHTLY browned.
- Fry two eggs. I usually cook them over easy, but it’s up to you.
- Put tortilla on a plate, add chorizo on top of tortilla, and eggs on top of the chorizo.
- Add as much tomato-chili sauce as you want. Canned enchilada sauce works great for this.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of that.
- I always put the dish in my toaster oven for a minute or so just to melt the cheese on top.
There you have it. You can serve this with beans and rice, or just eat it by itself.