I Have a New Addiction – Peace Iced Tea

by John on January 28, 2010 · 41 comments

I’ve always been an Arizona iced tea man.  I rarely go a day without drinking one.  Sometimes I’ll drink 2-3.  I just have to have it.  I know it’s not the best thing in the world, or the best tea, but became an addiction years ago.  The high fructose corn syrup makes my mouth feel weird, and some of the beverages aren’t even tea.  I know grapeaid tastes like a grape popsicle, but come on.  Stick to the tea.

Today, my life changed.  I stopped into the gas station to pick up an Arizona after work and found a strange looking bottle on the rack two rows above my normal Arizona selection.  It looked like something from the 60′s.  Something designed by Hippies.  Something… Well, let’s just say it caught my eye.  Effective packaging!

I read the label and noticed it clearly is going for a “natural” feel.  No artificial coloring, flavors, or preservatives.  No corn syrup.  Real sugar!  Was this too good to be true?  NO!  The stuff is delicious!  No weird feeling in your mouth from the corn syrup, just great tasting tea!  The lemon doesn’t taste like some artificial lemon flavoring.  It tastes like lemons!  It goes down smooth and doesn’t make you feel like you’re drinking a Coke when you’re drinking a tea.

Even if you’re not a lemon tea kind of person, they have green tea, Ceylon tea(not sure what that is but it sounds delicious), and Razzleberry tea.

I am very sorry to Arizona but I need a divorce.  It’s you, not me.  My new love reserved for Peace Iced Tea.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Related Posts :

• After reading John's post about Peace Iced Tea, I decided to give it a try (you will get no stupid give peace a chance puns out of me.) I discovered, much as he said, that it was superior to A ...

• Not too long ago, I tasted and tested numerous Arnold Palmers with the hope of finding the best.  After an exhaustive search, I regrettably came to the conclusion that Tazo was the winner with the ...

• As a loyal drinker of multiple favors of Arizona Iced Tea, I began to wonder.. Is there an addictive ingredient in this, or did they just develop a recipe for liquid heaven?  What goes into th ...

• I am well aware that it is old news to rant about and bash high fructose corn syrup. Wow, Jeremy, that was like, sooooo 2008. Well, it might be a couple years too late but I'm getting my two cents ...

• As someone who genuinely enjoys beer, it pains me when I hear about these ultra low calorie beers. It seems like every week Budweiser comes out with a new low calorie beer then the following week ...

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

frostayyy January 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm

ceylon is basically normal black tea, i drink alot of tea and i is just normal black tea.
i don’t know if ice tea people flavour it though… it’s a very nice tea though!
also i drink like 5 cups of normal tea a day, is iced tea actually any good? compare to the real thing?

steve January 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm

No kidding this stuff is addictive. Some secret ingredient. I have to figure this out.

Dave P January 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I’m kind of addicted to iced tea myself (I pick up one whenever I am on a drive) and have to say that using sugar and better leaves isn’t really new. Lipton was doing regular sugar a few years ago and Snapple (my favorite) jumped on the band wagon in the past year by switching to sugar and adding green tea leaves to their brew.

So, I think what you have there is a nice way to market the same idea.

Of course, I’m going to give the hippie stuff a try next time I see it. But, I am not expecting to convert from my slices of heaven – snapple peach and raspberry tea. I really suggest you try them.

Kurin February 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I tried the peace tea like 3 days ago and it’s like the bet tea ever!!!! I live the sweet leamon sweet tea!! I love jut sweet tea and am hoping that ot could become one of there new flavor I it is a company that plan to stay around!!! I love this tea an suggest everyone tries it!!!!!!! I is the best tea I’ve ever bought from a gas station and the price is unbeatable 23fl. Oz. For 99 cents!

taylor February 9, 2010 at 1:42 am

this tea is bomb. i’m sorry but it puts arizona and snapple to shame. peace be with you all :)

abby February 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

where can i buy peace tea?

cloe February 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

though tea is delicious. Its adicitive and will ruin your life. Do you really want to run to the gas station three times a day just to get a can of drugs.

manda March 16, 2010 at 10:52 am

haha!! theres no need to run to the gas station that many times!! just buy them all at once! i found peace tea about a month ago and everyone asks about it at work! im slowly converting my small town customers from home brewed to peace tea!! they all love it! how can you call tea a can of drugs cloe?!?!

jay March 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm

DELICIOUS, THE CEYLON IS DA BEST!!!!!!

steve April 6, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I just tried this razzleberry tea from Peace Tea and I really don’t like the taste. Maybe i will find other flavors from peace tea.

Peace Tea Addict April 10, 2010 at 8:08 pm

hey everyone. I tried peace tea while traveling in Illinois! It was like AMAZING!!! Now I want to have it but cant find any Shell stations to buy it from! Where do you guys buy this stuff! I need help!!!! I need my Peace Tea!!!

Brian April 21, 2010 at 3:16 am

peace tea is the best like many others im hooked on 3 to 4 cans a day so i buy it by the case my preferance is razzleberry I like that it is mostly sweetened with sugar the only con is they also use sucralose an artificial sweetener but it is the last ingredient on the list meaning there is very little and its not enough to detour me and forget arizona tea corn syrup is one of the leading causes of obesity in the us.

Anon April 26, 2010 at 6:43 am

I found them at a bunch of 7-11s, not in every 7-11 though. Most 7-11s just have Arizona.

spencer brown May 25, 2010 at 9:12 am

well abby you can generaly buy peace tea in any convienent gas station or super store as wal mart hahaha buy the way 832 797 0029 call for sex

leslee June 26, 2010 at 10:38 pm

peace tea rocks but so does arizona tea i dont like the juice though lol

Raja girl July 2, 2010 at 5:03 pm

i love peace tea you can gt it at the gas stations but i dont like arizona tea

bryson July 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm

How can they say its 100% natural when there is sucralose in it?
Sucralose products manufactured in the US for domestic consumption are commonly formulated by the addition of “bulking” ingredients such as glucose (dextrose) and maltodextrin to give a degree of sweetness per unit volume comparable to sucrose, and to give some products an appearance similar to granular sugar. Some examples of these sweeteners are Splenda, SucraPlus, Candys, Cukren, and Nevella.
thats not natural in my book and i can taste that crap. what are they trying to pull here?
I quit drinking my arizona everyday once i found out they were using flouridated water.
how can they make a drink only 99 cents doesnt that seem alittle cheap?
I think its all poison and your a fool if you drink it…
try taos green tea made from brown cane sugar way better for you and taste like its actually natural.

Sophie Watkins July 24, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I CAN’T FIND IT ANYWHERE

amanda July 26, 2010 at 12:06 am

Omgg i love peace tea, itz so delishh!!! Mi cuzin had some probably a few months bak n i tried it and i fell! ;D
It has a wonderful taste, i buy everytime im at a liquor store or dee gas station,
Gewd choice with the peace tea my friend ^_^

nora July 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm

you can find Peace tea at 7-11. I just bought all 4 kinds and they are delish!!! the razzelberry is like a raspberry, and excellent, the Ceylon tea, which is a black tea (like lipton or nestea) is sweet, from sugar not high fruc corn syrup!!! it’s also very good, in fact, couldn’t be better, they also have a sweetened lemon, no funky aftertaste, just great tea, and the green tea is sweetened with honey…and excellent. I love this stuff, also so much better than carbonated drinks which leach calcium from your bones (wish I would have known that years ago). you can also buy at most gas stations, and someone said walmart carries it too, I know Meijers doesn’t have it, would be nice if Sams or Costco carried it…better deal. definately try it, you’ll love it.

Annon July 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This article is very inaccurate
Peace tea does not use sugar instead of corn syrup
They use an artificial sweetener called “sucralose”

They are further from “all natural” then the other brands are.

Frankly I can’t imagine how they have stayed in business. I imagine half of all people who try their tea dislike it like I did, because it has the nasty chemical sweeter taste. I was actually pretty upset about it as well. You’d think they would put “diet” on the can if they use artificial sweeteners

Weebz August 14, 2010 at 1:24 am

I sent this is an email to Peace Tea as well as Arizona.

If it isn’t labled as “Diet” or “Low Calorie” why add the Sucralose? When people see a product that isn’t labled as such, they generally assume it to be NORMAL, REGULAR, etc. I’d be pretty aggravated if I bought a REGULAR Coke, took a few sips and then started getting a headache and read the tiny little ingredients list on the back and saw SUCRALOSE. That’s unfair to customers trying to AVOID those chemicals. Atleast products containing PHENYLALANINE usually say “Diet, Sugar Free, Low Calorie” and there’s that red text that says “Warning to Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.” Those people atleast get a warning. What do we get for people who have adverse reactions to Sucralose? Tiny text on the back of the can that we have to scan through to make sure the drink we’re drinking is a NORMAL drink.

Whether it’s “approved by the FDA” is not the point, and I don’t care if they did since the Splenda people probably paid them off anyhow… some of us just don’t want it in our bodies. You can continue as usual, and some will eventually poke around and see the sucralose in the ingredients and throw a fit, or you can start providing products that give the customer the OPTION. Leave the normal sugar in, LEAVE THE SUCRALOSE OUT.

Safe? Safe my rear end…

“Splenda/sucralose is simply chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon. Common chlorocarbons include carbon tetrachloride, trichlorethelene and methylene chloride, all deadly.”

Sucralose is a molecule of sugar chemically manipulated to surrender three hydroxyl groups (hydrogen + oxygen) and replace them with three chlorine atoms. Natural sugar is a hydrocarbon built around 12 carbon atoms. When turned into Splenda it becomes a chlorocarbon, in the family of Chlorodane, Lindane and DDT”

“It is logical to ask why table salt, which also contains chlorine, is safe while Splenda/sucralose is toxic? Because salt isn’t a chlorocarbon. When molecular chemistry binds sodium to chlorine to make salt carbon isn’t included. Sucralose and salt are as different as oil and water.”

“Unlike sodium chloride, chlorocarbons are never nutritionally compatible with our metabolic processes and are wholly incompatible with normal human metabolic functioning. When chlorine is chemically reacted into carbon-structured organic compounds to make chlorocarbons, the carbon and chlorine atoms bind to each other by mutually sharing electrons in their outer shells. This arrangement adversely affects human metabolism because our mitochondrial and cellular enzyme systems are designed to completely utilize organic molecules containing carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and other compatible nutritional elements.”

“By this process chlorocarbons such as sucralose deliver chlorine directly into our cells through normal metabolization. This makes them effective insecticides and preservatives. Preservatives must kill anything alive to prevent bacterial decomposition.”

“Dr. Bowen believes ingested chlorocarbon damage continues with the formation of other toxins: “Any chlorocarbons not directly excreted from the body intact can cause immense damage to the processes of human metabolism and, eventually, our internal organs. The liver is a detoxification organ which deals with ingested poisons. Chlorocarbons damage the hepatocytes, the liver’s metabolic cells, and destroy them.”

“In test animals Splenda produced swollen livers, as do all chlorocarbon poisons, and also calcified the kidneys of test animals in toxicity studies. The brain and nervous system are highly subject to metabolic toxicities and solvency damages by these chemicals. Their high solvency attacks the human nervous system and many other body systems including genetics and the immune function. Thus, chlorocarbon poisoning can cause cancer, birth defects, and immune system destruction. These are well known effects of Dioxin and PCBs which are known deadly chlorocarbons.”

“Dr. Bowen continues: “Just like aspartame, which achieved marketplace approval by the Food and Drug Administration when animal studies clearly demonstrated its toxicity, sucralose also failed in clinical trials with animals. Aspartame created brain tumors in rats. Sucralose has been found to shrink thymus glands (the biological seat of immunity) and produce liver inflammation in rats and mice.”

monacon September 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’m depressed that I’ve recently discovered that Peace Tea has Sucralose in it. I never want to drink it again, makes me really sad that a company would deceive people like that ;[
They could’ve but diet on it if they were gonna use that crap.
I’d rather stick with the High Fructose Corn Syrup in my Arizona tea. Until Peace Tea gets their act together per-say. I’d rather be motivated to work out more than potentially get cancer or have a kidney fail later in life lol

2Lazy October 4, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Wow think for yourself lemmings. Read the ingredients – Brewed natural tea , SUGAR, citric acid, Natural Flavors, Sucralose. The commenter that claimed it has no sugar is a retard who cannot READ. Sure it has a little bit of sucralose in it. It’s still healthier then 2x the sugar or HFCS. So until you actually READ and can COMPREHEND what is in the ingredient list, I suggest not commenting….

Gewburr October 8, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Like so many other thinking consumers here, I discovered Peace Tea has sucralose in it as soon as I first tasted it. Yuk. A quick glance at the ingredient list confirmed it. I agree that the biggest deception here is that it isn’t marketed as a “lite” or “diet” drink. Has sucralose really just become another “ingredient” like water or citric acid? I suppose in the eyes of this “socially conscious” company it has. The only positive thing I can say is that they use sugar instead of corn syrup. However, I also understand that sugar is expensive to use in a product and the addition of sucralose allows the manufacturer to make a “sweeter” product for less money. No doubt this was a financial decision the manufacturer had to make to market this product at 99 cents and still make a profit. Nonetheless my family and I won’t be buying any more Peace Tea, and will closely examine the ingredient list before buying any of these new drinks.

john October 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Ive been drinking this stuff since i found it at RIPS a few months ago, ive tried every flavor incuding the new ones(high tea and matcha style, both alright but more for dieters) I have to say, THIS DRINK IS AMAZING!!!!!!! The best is ceylon, the lemos is smooth and amazing, i love this stuff! peace!

Andrew November 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm

While many of the explanations people have provided here make sucralose appear “scary” and like something that could kill you, it’s really not anything humans need to worry about. I’ve included so me FAQ’s form sucralose.org, which clarify how sucralose works in the body, and why it’s safe to ingest.

Was sucralose thoroughly tested?
Yes. Sucralose was tested to the satisfaction of every regulatory authority that has reviewed the data from the safety studies. Regulatory authorities worldwide have agreed and permitted sucralose to be used as a sweetener, without the need for any special warning labels of health information statements.

How was the safety of sucralose determined?
Regulatory authorities globally have very specific requirements in terms of scientific studies to demonstrate safety of new food ingredients, including sweeteners. Sucralose underwent all of the required scientific studies and the data has been reviewed by scientific experts representing regulatory authorities around the world. Every regulatory authority that has reviewed the safety data on sucralose has concluded that sucralose is safe for human consumption.

Doesn’t sucralose contain chlorine?
Yes the sucralose molecule contains three atoms of chlorine, and this is the key to how we intensify the sweetness of sugar and remove the calories.

There is no cause for concern about the safety of sucralose due to the presence of chlorine. In the case of sucralose, the addition of chlorine atoms converts sucrose (sugar) to sucralose, which is an inert, unreactive substance. The chlorine in sucralose does not separate in the body, nor does sucralose accumulate in the body. In fact, it is the presence of these chlorine atoms that prevent sucralose from being broken down in the body for energy, thus, making sucralose non-caloric.

Is the chlorine in sucralose safe?
Absolutely. This is why every regulatory authority which has reviewed the scientific data on sucralose has approved it for use as a food ingredient.

Chlorine is used to modify the structure of the sugar molecule and produce sucralose and is really the key to how the sweetness of sugar is intensified while at the same time retaining the taste of sugar and rendering it non-caloric. There is absolutely no cause for concern about the safety of sucralose due to the presence of chlorine. In the case of sucralose, the addition of chlorine atoms converts sugar to sucralose, which is an inert, nonreactive substance. The chlorine in sucralose does not separate in the body, nor does sucralose accumulate in the body.

Is the chlorine in sucralose released in the body?
No, sucralose does not break down in the body. It is not affected by the body’s digestive processes. The chlorine in sucralose does not separate in the body, nor does sucralose accumulate in the body. Only a small proportion of the sucralose that is consumed is actually absorbed and that is quickly eliminated as sucralose in the body wastes. The majority of ingested sucralose just passes through the digestive system unchanged.

Brandy January 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I totally respect peoples’ feelings on the consumption of sucralose, but how is it deceitful? It is printed right on the can. If you are truly THAT concerned about it then you need to take a proactive approach and read the ingredients of everything before you buy it; not blame the company because you didn’t take the time to read the label that is clearly printed on every can.

Sam March 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I just think that it is ridiculous that they can say it is 100% natural when there is sucralose in it. It has been proven that injesting sucralose lowers the amount of good bacteria in the intestines, increases intestinal pH and it leads to increased body weight. It isn’t that I’m blaming the company it’s that the company is outright lying to everyones faces. Also the sucralose has been shown to lead to addiction. Which will just make you more addicted to the tea.

Sam March 23, 2011 at 6:39 pm

the only reason I knew it had sucralose was because of the terrible taste. First sip I noticed it then it was confirmed by a quick glance at the ingredients. Going back to arizona. Fluoridated water is actually good for your teeth if used in small amounts. It fights against cavities.

damon April 29, 2011 at 7:53 am

the tea is okay the tea azriona whatever tall can half water half sugar this tea has less sugar and people talking about sucralose this and that they drink red bull i think peacetea is safer than soda put you some with ice and see

Madi May 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Okay so. I love Peace Tea. The tea is really good. Like yeah. I used to love Razzleberry, because it tasted amazing(btw, if you look for it there’s a tiny picture of Kim Jong-il on the Razzleberry tea in the sea of people) but then I try Sweet Lemon. OHMYBABYJESUS. It was like sweet nectar slipping down my throat. Try it!

Madi May 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Not only is the tea inside good, the can is cool too for us hippies:D

Peace, Love, and Music
Forever
Be Free
in
Nature

Thanks Peace Tea. Love you!

Zoey June 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I love this tea, but from the looks of it there are some people that don’t know that “natural” is not regulated. So really… you don’t know if it’s all that “natural” unless you look at the ingredients. They just use those words to sell. If you have allergies to artificial ingredients then you should just switch to organic products which are regulated. So if it’s labeled “USDA Organic” it’s going to be more “natural” than products labeled as “natural”.

Also there is no solid evidence that fluoridated water actually helps fight cavities. If you’re brushing your teeth, then that’s all you really need. Nazis fluoridated water that was used by the Jews to make them more docile. So all you need to know is that fluoride is bad for the brain and too much of it can poison you and mess with your bones. Fluoride accumulates in the brain of a fetus, causing damage to cells and neurotransmitters. Fluoride has effects on the IQ of children and nursery waters still add fluoride claiming to do more than hydrate your child. Animal studies have also documented considerable evidence of direct toxic effects of fluoride on brain tissue, even at levels as low as 1 ppm fluoride in water (Varner 1998).
It does NOT belong in public drinking water.

KT July 26, 2011 at 12:34 am

I think it’s funny how much everybody is freaking out about the Sucralose. Sure some people have adverse effects from the ingredient, if you have a problem with it, look at the label BEFORE buying the product. I also read someone said 99 cents makes it look cheap. That’s the best part. I love that it’s so inexpensive, because I’m addicted to this tea and I love that I can afford to buy at least one a day. As for the people who say they buy it by the case… Where do you do that!? I live in Iowa so we don’t have a lot of it. We can only get it at one gas station… and they only have Caddy Shack, Unsweetened, and Razzleberry, which are actually my three favorites. I would also like to be able to get the Sweet Lemon and Ceylon. I don’t really care for the Green Teas… I don’t like Green Tea normally, and I think the Peace Tea Green Tea tastes like beer… which I don’t really care for.

KT July 26, 2011 at 12:38 am

I would also like to add that people are mad that it doesn’t say diet when they’re using Sucralose. Where in the world does it say that if it has Sucralose it HAS to be diet?

Aliesha August 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I think some of you are perceiving what Peace Tea says wrong. The TEA in it is NATURAL. They never said the drink itself was. Really people.. you just misunderstood.

DTOTHAC August 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Natural/Un-natural/diet.. I don’t care what they call it, the problem I have is the fact that it is advertised as some kind of commune produced hippie drink. That gives people the impression that it must come from a factory that is liberal and probably cares about nature and providing a natural product. After the initial first impression you read the can and see 100% natural tea. The fact that this is tea and it says 100% natural tea and not “tea leaves” this verifies the initial idea that this is healthier/hippier/naturalier…. The third glance goes to the ingredients list where you scan through quickly (because you are at a gas station of some sort and you are in a hurry to leave) you see the obvious ingredients brewed natural tea, water and then…. sugar!!! you are so excited to see sugar that you stop right there and assume this product is what it appears to be, all natural. I drank several before I read the entire list and noticed the sucralose. This company intentionally decieves people with their can design and choice of words used on the can. Sure, it could be better for you to drink than other products, but the fact still stands that it is not what it claims to be. Now if they revamped their marketing campaign and named it “Colorado tea” and added “debateably better for you than Arizona” I could respect the honesty, or even add “contains no corn syrup, aspertame, or battery acid”.

DTOTHAC August 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

My point is, I don’t see hippies putting on lab coats and going into a clean room to produce some sort of frankenstein sweetener by processing sugar with chlorine. I know chlorine is used in many things and I am not saying it is or isn’t dangerous, I just like to make my decisions fully informed on the truth, this company is forced by the FDA to list their ingredients on the can, but they can legally decieve you by making the ingredient list print tiny and making their claims to natural products massive and boldly printed on the front of the can. It would be like McDonalds saying french fries are 100% natural and healthy and vegan and that they can be substituted for other vegitables because after all they are potatoes…

Maria August 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Peace tea is fresh. And they don’t animal test ! <33 Shame on Nestea.

Mike C September 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

So they say on the can 100% Natural Tea and some here ask why we’re upset. Unfortunately I purchased a case of this stuff at Costco and couldn’t see the label but I could see the “100% Natural Tea” printed largely and proudly on the can. So yeah I’m pissed because there is an artificial sweeter in it! No matter what someone (above) who sounds like a an employee of a company who manufactures either this tea or the synthetic sugar substitute says!