Man v. Food is Dead to Me

by John on September 11, 2010 · 14 comments

Man v. Food has been one of my favorite shows since it began a few years ago.  It’s like a good version of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with a likable host and an eating challenge at the end.  What is there not to love?  When I first saw it,  I felt like it was a natural fit that Epic Portions began covering it.  Travel Channel even sent me season one on DVD for free.

I always hoped that Adam Richman would bring his show to Ann Arbor so I could hang out during production.  This week, the time finally came.  News started circling that the show was being filmed at Blimpy Burger on Wednesday, which was an obvious choice.  If someone was in town visiting and I needed one place to take them, Blimpy would more than likely be the winner.

His next stop was the Maze and Blue Deli, which I found to be a little odd.  I could probably think of ten places I would have recommended over it.  I’m not saying the place isn’t good, but come on.  Just because it has “Maze and Blue” in the name doesn’t mean you have to stop there while in Ann Arbor.  I could open up a bike repair shop and call it “Maze and Blue Bike Shop”, but it wouldn’t mean you should take your bike to me to get fixed.  I don’t know shit about bikes. I would probably break your bike even more than it already was.

I did everything I could to find out where the eating challenge would take place.  I scoured the internet, I talked to my insiders(HA!), and I kept my ear to the streets.  I was going to find Mr. Richman and I was going to be present for the challenge.  I had work  off, a full tank of gas, and a dream.  I finally found where out where it was all taking place, and what I read horrified me.

They selected Tios’ Mexican Cafe as their final destination.

Out of all places, they chose Tios.  Tios Mexican Cafe.  The WORST food in the area, perhaps the state. The place that has done everything in their power to DESTROY Mexican food.  The challenge turned out to be something I have written before… A hideous five pound pile of slop known as Mount Nacheesmo.

More like Mount Pile of Garbage! Haha!

Seriously, that is television worthy?  I could make that in my house and it would look/taste about 100 times better.  I was completely confused on this decision.  Ann Arbor has great local joints that really say something about the city, other than “Hey, we fucking hate Mexican food so we’re going to destroy it.  Here, have an enormous burrito filled with cat food and beans, and topped with yellow cheese and bland enchilada sauce.”  Why did Tios get the selection?  9/10 people that know food will tell you that Tios’ food sucks.  It’s common knowledge.  Couldn’t someone on the research team ask a local what they thought of the place and possibly recommend a good place to go?

Some time ago, I read WouldIBuyitAgain.com’s, rant on the resturuant selection in the Indianapolis.   I now see what he means.  The selection process on Man v. Food has gotten awful.  I will no longer watch Man v. Food.  Let the boycott begin.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related Posts :

• Tios' latest attempt to lure Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor residents into eating their terrible food is an eating competition involving 5 pounds of nachos, called Mount Nacheesmo.  I would normally be p ...

• Sometimes a crime is so heinous, so unspeakably monstrous that it needs to be called out again and again and again.  Allow me to set aside my usual anti Guy Fieri rants to join in the chorus again ...

• On December 8th, 2009 the City of Ann Arbor tore down Tios Mexican Cafe. Unfortunately, it was just for relocation.  Damnit.  Couldn't someone have re-routed the bulldozers to tear down the ...

• Since I am currently in the middle of an intense boycott of Tios' Mexican Cafe, there has never been a way for me to share with the readers who do not reside in Ann Arbor the absolute horror that ...

• I can't remember the last time I asked anything of my readers.  Actually, I don't believe I have ever requested anything of you.  That's all about to change.  On June 12th, AnnArbor.com will begin ...

{ 1 trackback }

Man vs. Food October 20, 2010 (Ann Arbor, MI) episode links | EatFeats
October 20, 2010 at 7:34 am

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

IndianapolisEater September 12, 2010 at 8:30 am

John, couldn’t agree more and since you linked our rant of Man v. Food in Indianapolis, I won’t go into any more detail. It’s sad that they’ve been dropping the ball with the show recently and after the performances of Indianapolis and Ann Arbor, it really makes me question anything that I’ve seen on the show. It’s too bad because I used to really like that show.

I even put a message on my Twitter feed about the Indianapolis show and how I thought Adam sandbagged the eating challenge and got a direct reply from Adam where he chastised me for thinking that. Not exactly fan friendly relations from the host there and that’s just one more thing that’s turning me away.

Oh well, at least watching the show was fun for a while.

Neil September 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Let me echo that sentiment for the Cleveland show. The west side market is a great destination, but Gyros? The kind available on every street corner in every big city in the country? This is signature Cleveland food? Please. The Polish Boy is a genuine Cleveland take on the Po’Boy, but Hot Sauce Williams? How about Freddie’s on St. Clair. It only got a mention in Esquire for chrissakes. How about Iron Chef Michael Symon’s favorite Seti’s? I know it’s a food truck, but Adam has done roach coaches before. Alas no complaint about Melt, except for the exquisitely ‘Cleveland’ clientele.

Todd September 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm

They came to “Time Out,” a dive place in Chapel Hill, NC entirely dedicated to making fun of Chris Webber’s accidental time out in the national championship game against UNC. This place is literally a drunk food joint – great biscuits and fried chicken, but honestly, not known for good food. For Goddsake – there is a cop in the joint most of the time to deal with disorderly frat guys. Come on Adam Richman. Honestly.

wibia September 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

First, thanks for the link.

Second, MvF might have one more season left. The novelty of it is wearing off. I loved the show at first and actually watched it real time because I was so pumped about it. They totally botched the Indy show and it looks like Ann Arbor was handled the same way.

MvF is clearly not a travel guide for places to go. They don’t do their homework, they pick shitty places and make no attempt on understanding the essence of that location. Just like Neil said, I didn’t know that Cleveland was a hot spot for Gyros?! And trust me, Indy is not a hot spot for meatloaf or strawberry pie.

So, MvF is boring to me now, their choice of food is garbage and based on Adam’s twitter posts back to us, he is a totally d-bag….

I will never watch the show again.

John September 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’m really curious what he said to you in this Twitter post. Any chance you would share?

Charlotte September 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I feel the same about the Indianapolis show! It was truly an awful representation of the city and it’s food, even if it is just Indiana. I think what has happened is that they have to get out a certain amount of shows per season and are just grinding them out now. It’s really sad because this is a very fan-oriented show. Lots of foodies love it (and regular people too) but he is doing no favors by a lot of the places he visits. All it takes is an hour of Google and a few phone calls to learn where the real meat of a place is (see what I did there?). Nobody can please everybody Man v. Food isn’t even trying anymore.

Matt September 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

just curious – after Blimpy Burger, where would you have had them go in ann arbor?

wibia October 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

Watched this episode last night. Tio’s does not look very good. I liked how they dug the meat out of holding pans and then throw some shredded cheese on everything and then send it out. Plus, I didn’t see one person who was working there or eating there that was of Mexican descent. That is not a good sign.

Plus he had a bunch of food on the platter and then stood up an took the last bite… Obvious cut and paste on the film… not 100% sure he finished.

Blimpy Burger looked pretty tasty though.

letty June 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm

dude give him a freaking break he has to eat where the producers tell him and that’s how he gets his money they have to find places that have unique challenges that would make for a good airing, i wouldn’t eat half the things he does but it makes for good TV and TV=cash so tell me u wouldn’t take the opportunity to travel, eat places for free, and have people gush over you because your famous, I’ve been to Lulu’s cafe and had their giant cinnamon roll its not all that great but the people i ate it with really liked it its about opinions some people like the places some don’t.

Brett August 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm

wow…you guys really do know how to bitch huh?

Letty is the only one here who hasn’t bitched his guts out over tex-mex food. If you want mexican food go close to the border and then get your 99percent 1percent meat and cheese burritos. It seems that all the most of you seem to know is I don’t like this place therefore nobody does. Get a life and better yet a better pallete. Pathetic lot of whiners

ArcadianWarrior September 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I don’t know anything about the location but I’m thinking maybe he just chose that place because it had a food challenge. I dunno, some of the best places to eat might not have specific challenges, and that’s how he always ends the shows so maybe that’s why he went there? Like I said though, I have no idea what the other places had to offer in terms of challenges.

cold running gear September 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

ll be pushed. Now comfortable jerseys made up by international brands
are worn by the star players of different clubs of baseball.
So, there you have it.

Manual September 12, 2014 at 5:36 pm

certainly like your web-site however you need to take a look at
the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it
very bothersome to tell the reality then again I’ll surely come again again.